Wednesday, January 27, 2010

May Need to Stray a Bit

Ok, so even though I don't feel as if I've gotten a whole lot done, I don't feel as if I'm behind. That's something I haven't felt in a long time. While in class today, I did research on current hotel trends that just so happen to coincide nicely with the design theme that I've chosen (although I have one small reservation about that). I found that many hotels are going in a much more contemporary, simplistic/minimalist, yet also incorporating very rich materials. Zen and calming themes really resonate through lobbies and restaurant/bars. Design utilizes bright pops of color. Spaces are very sleek and geometric. Cost-effective seems is a major issue.
I looked through all of the pictures provided to us and kind of got a better idea of what I'm working with. I made notes on my printout of the current floor plan. I had already decided that I would be using a wood veneer to cover up the stern-looking metal raftors that run acrosst he entire width of each large section of space. I think this will really break up the space and also create nice aesthetics. I plan on connecting my restarant/check-in/spa from the current lawn (future hotel room complex) by an enclosed glass Italian landscaped garden, which I have found are very lavishly designed in themselves. This will create more visual interest for hotel guests. I definitely want my hotel rooms to have balconies so the guests can see the courtyard and other landscaping from their rooms while getting fresh air. Balconies are also very popular in Italian design. I kind of planned out where I want my restaurant and spa to be located and the rooms that need to be incorporated into those areas.
My one reservation about using a Modern Italian design approach is that the walls needs to be white (or as close to white as possible), but the original tile on the outside is also very prevalent on the inside of most of existing building. It is a pale-ish yellow color (not my personal favorite). Since this project is being completed for our "client," the Downtown Redevelopment Association and we are also trying to update and preserve the building, I'm not sure I should do anything to it. Should I stray a little bit from my Italian theme because of the tile or just let it slide and possibly paint or replace it with something else???

No comments:

Post a Comment